Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Response 3

When reading the title of Essential Element 3, I felt like I did not know how to appropriately take different approach when problems occur. I had a sense that I might make a mistake. When reading the first few pages the statement "In both situations, the solution is not for the student or teacher to try harder. They need to try something different" encouraged me so much, and started to lay out a clear path to allowing me to understand when to start to take a different approach.
While continuing on reading through the chapter, I read something that I never knew. It was that young children with FASD particpating in a verbal-only instructional study, they only understand every third word. This was very interesting to me, and it allowed me to understand children with FASD just that much more. On the same page, it also said that many teachers have a hard time trying to work with FASD students that do well one day then do not as good the next. I had a sense that teachers would expect the same performance the next day, there are so many days in a school year and not knowing how that particular student would do the next day, could get a little frustrating.
Towards the end of the chapter, I agreed when they explained that this information and taking different steps may seem simple, but are also very crucial. It is very easy for a teacher to get confused or fustrated when an FASD student is not interacting as expected. These simple steps can make a huge impact on the child. A teachers effort to teach an FASD child, and whether or not they are successful is very important and can affect the child in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment