Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Reflection 6

Reflection 6

This lesson helped me have a better understanding of how all children don’t respond to a one size fits all learning approach. There are many things that need to be taken into account when developing a plan for each individual child especially those with FASD. If a child doesn’t understand what is put before them we can’t expect them to follow and behave as children that do understand would. So a child’s cognitive, social, and emotional developments all need to be taken into account when working with them.

One thing that really caught my attention was the point made about children with FASD being developmentally younger than their chronological age. So realistically they cannot be expected to act the same way their peers do. They are being grouped within chronological age groups which means that socially they are being grouped with children who are years ahead of them in many ways. This can lead to much frustration for the child and the teacher.

I really liked the chart about interpreting behaviors. It gave me so many new ideas to think about. It really challenged me to change the assumptions that I and society are so fast to make. Having my eyes opened to this way of thinking is going to make me a better counselor as well as a better person all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment