Monday, November 21, 2011

Reflection 4

Structure, what an important thing for all children but for a child with FASD it can make or break them. I sit here typing this trying to put myself in the position of a child with FASD but I know there is no way to fully understand what it is like. The story of the boy in Fairbanks who wet himself because his mother changed the furniture when he was sleeping and he could not figure out how to get to the bathroom was heart wrenching.

So, now that I know what can I do to help. I like the idea of a comic strip form for showing things like fire drills, field trips and so on. Although I cannot draw so I was thinking that I could ask some students to do skits and record them. That way if there was going to be a fire drill I could play the skit to the student with FASD or maybe just to all the students so that everyone would know what was expected. Of course as I write this I realized asking the student with FASD how he/she would like to go about preparing for changes would be a good idea because it gives he/she a say in their learning. Which coincides with my next issue to talk about, structure verses control.

I applaud the book on how it discusses this subject. I especially enjoy the sentence, "Where structure supports, control coerces." There are so many people who do not understand the difference between control and structure. Structure allows the child to make mistakes without feeling like they are stupid, worthless, incompetent or a failure. Mistakes allow children to learn and with a child with FASD it is especially important. Children with FASD do not always learn the same way so by allowing them to see that just because they are not understanding something does not mean they are not trying or are not capable; as control does; it gives them the opportunity to see they can succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment