Monday, November 14, 2011

Reflection 2

Essential Element 2 made me stop and really think about what the mother of a child with FAS must go through. I guess I have always been guilty of just judging them based upon my own knowledge about what causes FAS. I never took the time to put myself in their shoes and consider their circumstances before. Thinking about what their issues might be helped me gain more empathy for their situation.

I feel like I may have let my prejudices get in the way of being able to help a child with FAS, simply because I would have been judging their parents. A judgmental attitude could alienate the family and the family needs to be part of the process. I also realized by putting that judgment on their parents I could be silently telling the child he is not worthy because they have FAS.

Sometimes you have to reach out beyond the child themselves in order to give them the help they need and deserve. I think to work with a child with FAS you need to have interdependence between their home life and your part in their life. I believe that this chapter really helped me open my eyes to the fact that you can’t work on people in pieces you need to work with the entire person and that includes the people close to them. Everyone needs to be on the same page and be able to effectively communicate what is working and what is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment