Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Reflection #3

As I read Element three I had no problem visualizing the child who had the temper tantrums. I found myself first thinking how rare this is was. Than the realization hit me that what the book was trying to say is this is not rare at all. Children with FASD do not process things the same way children without FASD do.


It is becoming very clear that parents, teachers, counselors, case workers and anyone else who interacts with people who have FASD will constantly need to challenge their own thought process. As stated in this chapter there are no "norms" for people with FASD. We must try to find out what is behind the action, comment, interaction, emotion and lack there of to truly find a way to help each person.

I think one of the biggest problems with all of us in this day is we often assume that people think the same way as we do. Maybe it has always been like this through out time but I think with the amount of knowledge we have attained within the last 60 years we need to stop. If we are going to go into a field that deals with people with FASD we must take the time to truly get to know them and how they think (as best we can) so that we may truly help them develop skills to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment