Monday, November 28, 2011

Reflection 6

If you would have asked me 3 weeks ago what I knew about FASD I would have said quite a bit. Here we are on the sixth chapter and I realize I don’t know anything. I also realize that in many ways we are setting this children up for failure in school.

How can a child who maybe years behind their chronological age be put in a classroom with children who are not. Than add teachers who do not know about FASD or that do not want to put forth the effort, and you have a recipe for problems to happen.

Children can be cruel to their classmates who have no “problems”. I cannot even imagine how it is for a child with FASD who’s is behind on their chronological age. How do we handle this, in a society were “the strongest survive”? We have “Special Education” programs but this can sometimes cause more problems than they fix. I think we should require all teachers to be educated regarding students with education problems. Especially children with FASD because they often go undiagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment