Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflection 9

Have you ever walked into a room and had to ask yourself why am I here? You can’t remember why so you walk out of the room and then back in trying to jog your memory. We try to remember people’s names, directions or detailed instructions and this can be a challenge for anyone. The way our memory works begins with our body using our senses to absorb information. We store that information and retain it as short or long term memories which we use to retrieve or recall the information and experiences. Memory processing is a neurological function that does not work well in children with FASD.

Since all of this information is new to me I’ve done a lot of thinking about the challenges faced by children and families with FASD. I am learning about this disorder specifically for my grandson so I can have the tools I need to teach him. When I try to understand the effects of his permanent brain damage I must accept that he has limits to how well he can process information. Strategies for memory enhancement encourage parents/teachers to allow the child the freedom to move about to explore and be creative in music and in life. Research shows that all children learn more easily if the lesson is fun and stress free then the child will more readily remember the routines, rules, lessons, etc.

In doing some research I’ve found that the number one way that a child with FASD learns is by imitating the behaviors or actions of others. So it’s extremely important that we are good role models to our children. It’s also important that we keep close tabs on our kids friends at school and after school and make sure that they are good role models too. We must remember that every experience we have with a child can be a learning experience for them. What will your child remember about his/her experience with you? This question helps me watch what I do and say around my grandson and be aware that he watches me and learns from me both the bad and the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment